H2OSU - January 9, 2012
To submit an item, please email: email@example.com.
Monday, January 9, 2012
(Winter Term, Week 1)
OSU Water Events This Week
Monday, January 9, 6-8 pm, Old World Deli, Science Pub Corvallis - The Willamette River in a Changing Climate
Tuesday, January 10, 4-5:30 pm, Memorial Union Journey Room, IWW 2012 Winter Water Film Series - Mountains In The Mist, by Sampurno Bruijnzeel
Wednesday, January 11, 4-5 pm, ALS 4000, Water Resources Engineering Seminar Series, Dr. John Bolte is presenting the opening seminar of the series on the Willamette Water 2100 project.
Wednesday, January 11, 5:00-7:30pm, Orchard Court Community Center, Hydrophiles Chili Cook-Off, Come enjoy food and friendship before the term gets crazy. Bring chili to compete or other food to share pot-luck style. Prizes will be given to the best meat and vegetarian chilis.
Thursday, January 12, 12-1 pm, Gilmore Student Lounge, Hydrophiles Brownbag: Welcome Back Brownbag, Give a one minute "pop-up" about your lab's research, events taking place this quarter, or other relevant information to the hydro community.
Friday, January 13, 12-1 pm, Wilkinson Hall 203, OSU Chapter of Mediators Beyond Borders - Conflict Resolution Speaker Series, Robyn Paulekas, an OSU alumni and mediator with Meridian Institute, will be speaking about her work on two complex environmental projects: Agriculture and Climate Change and The Mississippi Watershed Initiative. Lunch will be provided!
Upcoming OSU Water Events
Monday, January 23, 9-10 am, Nash Hall 404, Stream Team Monday Morning Meetings - Conservation of trout in a warming future, Jack Williams, Trout Unlimited.
Water Community Announcements
- EPA and partners have released Climate Change Handbook for Regional Watershed Planning which provides a framework for considering climate change in water management planning and is modeled after the California Department of Water Resources' Integrated Regional Water Management (IRWM) planning framework. You can download the handbook, from the California Department of Water Resources website.
- OSU Hydrogeology Faculty - Do you know of an outstanding early career scientist that has significantly contributed to the hydrogeologic profession through original research and service? Nominate that scientist for the Kohout Early Career Award from the Hydrogeology Division of the Geological Society of America. A complete nomination package must be received by February 1, 2012.
- The Winter Water Films series returns after a two year hiatus! The series will focus on current issues regarding the history of water, culture, water management, and the use of video as a tool for education and cooperation. The Institute for Natural Resources (INR), Institute for Water and Watersheds (IWW) and the Oregon Climate Change Research Institute (OCCRI) have all generously contributed this film series.
- You can read the most recent version of OSU.Insight, a quasi-monthly forum for the Oregon State University Faculty that seeks to translate personal experience into the intellectual growth of OSU’s academic community. This issue contains articles from several WRGP faculty members including: Dr. Selker, Dr. Tullos and Dr. Marshall.
OSU Water in the News
- Congratulations to Tracie Jackson, a WRGP student advised by Dr. Haggerty, for earning a Pathfinder Graduate Fellowship from CUAHSI for "Developing a Predictive Residence Time Distribution for Surface Transient Storage: Flume Experiments".
- Congratulations to Arturo Leon, Assistant Professor in the School of Civil and Construction Engineering for winning a 2012 EPA Early CAREER award for Extreme Event Impacts on Air Quality and Water Quality with a Changing Global Climate. Dr. Leon’s research group will use the award to work on numerical and experimental modeling of geysers in storm-water and combined sewer systems.
Recent OSU Water Publications
Moore, GW, Jones JA, Bond BJ (11/2011) How soil moisture mediates the influence of transpiration on streamflow at hourly to interannual scales in a forested catchment Hydrological Processes Abstract OSU authors: Jones, Bond
Anlauf, KJ, Jensen DW, Burnett KM, Steel EA, Christiansen K, Firman JC, Feist BE, Larsen DP (11/2011) Explaining spatial variability in stream habitats using both natural and management-influenced landscape predictors Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems Abstract OSU authors: Burnett, Christiansen
Jansik, DP, Wildenschild D, Rosenberg ND (2011) Flow Processes in the Dry Regime: The Effect on Capillary Barrier Performance Vadose Zone Journal Abstract OSU authors: Jansik, Wildenschild
Surfleet, CG, Skaugset AE, Meadows MW (10/2011) Road runoff and sediment sampling for determining road sediment yield at the watershed scale Canadian Journal of Forest Research Abstract OSU authors: Surfleet, Skaugset
Westhoff, MC, Savenije HHG, Luxemburg WMJ, Stelling GS, van de Giesen NC, Selker JS, Pfister L, Uhlenbrook S (2011) Corrigendum to "A distributed stream temperature model using high resolution temperature observations" published in Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 11, 1469–1480, 2007 Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Abstract OSU authors: Selker
For Faculty: Funding Opportunities
NASA: Interdisciplinary Research in Earth Science 01/19/2012
USEPA: Urban Waters Small Grants 01/23/2012
NSF: Climate Change Education Partnership (CCEP) Program, Phase II (CCEP-II) (LOI: 01/24/2012) 03/21/2012
(Visit the IWW funding database for more funding links...)
For Students: Funding Opportunities
Foundation: Caltech-Geological and Planetary Sciences, O.K. Earl and Texaco Postdoctoral Fellowships 01/13/2012
Foundation: Caltech- Global Environmental Science, Stanback Postdoctoral Fellowship 01/13/2012
Assistant Professor in High Latitude Studies (multiple positions), College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, OSU (Corvallis, OR) (closing 1/31/12)
Postdoctoral Research Assistant in satellite remote sensing/glaciology, Bristol Glaciology Centre (Bristol, UK) (closing 1/13/12)
Public Service Representative /Assistant (climate and weather risks in agriculture and natural resource management), Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering - the University of Georgia (Athens, GA) (closing 1/31/12) Submit applications and questions to Dr. Mark Risse.
Water Resources Analyst, City of Greeley (Greeley, CO) (open until filled)
Executive Director, Klamath Basin Rangeland Trust (Klamath, OR) (open until filled)
Hydrologist/Water Resources Specialist, The Nature Conservancy (Sacramento, CA) (open until 1/20/12)
Hydrologist and Statistician (MS only), Browne Consulting LLC (Baker City, OR) (open until filled) Contact Peggy Browne [firstname.lastname@example.org] with any questions.
Program Director in the Hydrologic Sciences Program, National Science Foundation Division of Earth Sciences (Arlington, VA) (closing 1/31/12)
Project Coordinator, Alliance for Water Efficiency (Chicago, IL) (open until filled)
Program Assistant, Alliance for Water Efficiency (Chicago, IL) (open until filled)
Research Physical Scientist GS-12 (large river ecology), USGS - Columbia Environmental Research Center (Columbia, MO) (closing 1/23/12)
Regional Events and Conferences
Impacts of FEMA Floodplain Mapping: Regulatory Changes and Implications for Local Jurisdictions and Property Owners | Thursday, January 26, 2012 | World Trade Center Portland, OR
19th Annual Endangered Species Act | Thursday, January 26, 2012 - Friday, January 27, 2012 | Seattle, WA
The 11th annual Northwest Stream Restoration Design Symposium | Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - Thursday, February 2, 2012 | Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, Washington
Hydraulic Fracturing: Regulatory Perspectives and Achieving More ROI | Wednesday, February 8, 2012 - Thursday, February 9, 2012 | Denver, CO
NGWA Low-Cost Remediation Strategies for Contaminated Soil and Groundwater | Wednesday, February 8, 2012 - Friday, February 10, 2012 | Portland, Oregon
NGWA - Urban Water Resources: Stormwater Management, Groundwater Recharge, and LID | Thursday, February 9, 2012 - Friday, February 10, 2012 | Portland, Oregon | Edit | Delete
(View the complete calendar of external events online.)
National and International Events and Conferences
12th National Conference on Science, Policy and the Environment: Environment and Security | Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - Friday, January 20, 2012 | Washington, D.C.
Urbanization, Uncertainty and Water: Planning for Arizona's Second Hundred Years--Water Resources Research Center | Tuesday, January 24, 2012 | University of Arizona Student Memorial Union, Tucson, AZ
AGU Chapman Conference on Remote Sensing of the Terrestrial Water Cycle | Sunday, February 19, 2012 - Wednesday, February 22, 2012 | Kona, Hawaii, USA
(View the complete calendar of external events online.)